Wednesday, May 28, 2008

1 yr photos

Because I am not working outside of the house right now, we have had to tighten our belts a little. Having special "professional" photos of Madeline at a year old isn't in the budget. So we decided to put our fancy digital SLR to work for us and try to get some photos ourselves.

I have been trying to get photos that I like for weeks now, but it has been hard with the weather and Kevin's schedule. Taking photos by myself is difficult. If it is just me, all Madeline wants to do is grab the camera out of my hand and cuddle up in my lap. I have found though that she hates the way grass feels so if I put her down in grass she won't (yet) put her hands down on it to get herself up and walking! (I am so tricky!)

So today we headed to Francis Park in good old South City to try to get some photos. We went a little too late in the day, the sun was awful high, and it was hard trying to get her to smile all by myself while composing the photo and checking/adjusting the camera settings... but I think I got a couple of good shots.

I love this one because she makes this face 50 times a day! It's like she is saying, "what you takin' 'bout, Momma?"

Pat a cake, pat a cake!

Baker man!


The lighting in the background is all wrong, but I love this face. She is so proud of herself for walking!

They have two really cool mosaic benches at the park. I was so nervous she was going to try to get down I only got one good shot.

I hope that someday I will have the time and the $$ so that I can take a photography class and maybe a Photoshop workshop or two. I have altered these images a little, but I know that there is so much more Photoshop can do that I just don't even know about. I try!


mg

4 comments:

bridget said...

i prefer home-shot photos to "professional" photos...if you need an extra pair of hands/stylist to help with the photo shoot, give me a call...if i'm not busy, i'll certainly help. i have a mobot garden membership...let's go there! b.

Molly said...

I, too, would be happy to go help with the photos shoot. It would have to be a day when it wasn't raining, of course. These look fabulous!

Jodie Allen said...

i think you did a great job! and from experience here are my two ideas for you...

1. read your camera's manuel if you have a digital SLR that can shoot in manuel. leave your camera in manual even if it means bad photos until you get better. read your manual. don't use your flash. read your manual.

i never took a class, i just read all that i could, practiced daily, read blogs of photographers, practiced and read! :)

2. try to fit PS into your budget (if you know someone who is in school or teaches you can get it really cheap at a college bookstore) and then teach yourself. Again, I never took a class, I just played and read and played and read and learned very very slowly, but i learned. and i'm still learning!

the light on the bench was perfect and i think you did a great great job!

THE MURDER HOUR said...

The Paddy Cake and Baker Man ones are perfection for the 1 yr. pic! Showing teeth, and clapping skills! Excellent! Now, for the disturbing news...Aedan made that face and he disliked the feel of grass! You're in trouble my friend!!!!!