Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy Birthday G.G.

Friday was a huge day in our family. Kevin's grandmother celebrated a very special birthday. If I told you how old she is I'd be in a lot of trouble. She really doesn't want people to know even though I want to shout it from the rooftops if/when I reach that age.

Don't think you can twist my arm. I'm not telling. Instead I am going to give you some interesting facts that a close family friend shared with us to celebrate her birthday. (Thank you Deb!)

In 1911* there were only 144 miles of paved roads and gasoline was sold in cans at the grocery store. And speaking of cans, canned beer had not yet been invented but you could walk to your corner druggist and buy marijuana, morphine and heroin over the counter without a prescription. Wild!

To celebrate G.G.'s birthday we all had dinner at her apartment building and celebrated with cake for all the residents.



Madeline snarfed down her roll.


I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that my girls are getting to know their great grandmother's. (My maternal grandma is still around too...) The bond that Madeline, in particular, has with G. G. is something to see. We are so very lucky to have such a strong role model for our girls.

Happy very special Birthday G.G!










__________
*Shhh.... let's keep that our little secret now won't we. You can read Grandma's 99th birthday post (and the story of how Lydia got her name) here.

No comments: