Friday, July 17, 2009

When the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin' along

I have mentioned before that several of my childhood "lullaby" songs are pretty grizzly in nature. But one of my favorites that I have passed on to Madeline is The Red Red Robin.

See:



In the end she was really just more interested in grilled cheese than singing. (and she decided she needed her entire collection of bows on her head this morning. I just went with it.)

But that is a legitimate song... Dean Martin sings it!

I know the post with my other, less tame songs is coming. I just have to get my 82 year old grandmother to sing them for you. Songs about bloody cowboys always sound sweet when she sings them. (and no, I am not kidding... we were actually sung songs about bloody cowboys.)

mg

4 comments:

Gina said...

How in the world do I know that song? But I do.

bridget said...

You know, for a long time I thought the cowboy's name was Pity. And just so you know, when I was in Tennessee recently, your mom and I sang about the poor old slave who had gone to "rest" way down in Tennessee!

mGk said...

gina, you know that song b/c you are cool. That's why.

and yes Bridget, I too thought the cowboy's name was Pity and I can't wait to share our dead cowboy, dead slave songs with the world. It's a brewin'!

bridget said...

For the sake of clarity...bloody cowboy is not an English saying (as in "the bloody cowboy roped the steer") but rather the true blood and guts kind of cowboy. Just thought I'd clear up any confusion your readers may have. And I love that Gina knows the song too!