Tuesday, September 07, 2010

This photo about sums it up


The look on her face is how I feel on the inside lately.

Madeline came down with a stomach bug on Saturday night. Of course it was after she spent the entire day at my brother's house with my month old niece. After her one bought, she slept through to morning. She woke up and ate and ate and ate. Girl was hungry. She was fine and didn't have any symptoms of her previous night.

She did, however, have a cold. So did her sister. So I've been dealing with two stuffy, crabby, slimy girlies since Sunday morning. This is the head cold that just won't leave. Today both girlies have developed the most devastating cough. Each time Lydia coughs it breaks my heart a little bit.

Then to add to the crazy, Madeline woke up with about 4 dozen little welts on her legs that I thought was bug bites or a rash. Upon further inspection it was dozens of splinters. We had dinner on my parents deck last night and at one point she was sitting on the stairs. I can only assume that is where the splinters came from. I spent a hour this morning picking tiny splinters out of her legs (and one out of her hand) with tweezers, a straight pin, Follow That Bird and M&Ms. Don't worry, I sanitized them before hand. (The tweezers and pin, not the movie and candy...)

These are all things I can handle. Illness and crabbiness and splinters and stress is what mothering two small children is all about. So why do I feel like Lydia in the photo above? My weekend was NOTHING like I thought it would be. My week has not started out the way I thought it would. My life is not what I thought it should be in the last 4 days. That's hard for me. I like to know what is going to happen in my world. I like plans. I like clear expectations. This weekend did not fulfill my expectations. That kinda stinks.

Exacerbated because my brother and one month old niece have come down with something and I can only assume it is the same thing that my girl(ies) have. Although I have no control over that and I had NO idea Madeline and Lydia were ill when we saw them on Saturday (because the LAST think I would have done was expose her to an illness) I feel bad. Real bad.

AND

Because today was Madeline's first full day of preschool and I was scheduled as the parent helper and she missed it. I had to call in sick on her very first day of preschool. I know it isn't that big a deal, but it still makes me a little sad. As a child I missed my first week of kindergarten due to a major illness. Of course I didn't even remember this until my mother reminded me yesterday. Will Madeline remember her missed day? No. Did she even realize she had missed a day of school today? No. Thursday it is. (be assured there will be photos!)

I will survive. Thanks to my husband I did get a couple of errands run today. Because of those errands I was able to cross to major projects off my to do list. Then tonight the girls and I ran out to Target and scored a major deal on some sheets for a twin bed. I was thrilled! the combination of those things make a huge difference in my day. If I feel like I got something accomplished I am a much happier person. Even if my sink is still full of dirty dishes!

mg

No comments: