Monday, February 18, 2008

What's new?

So I was asked by a friend over the weekend, "what's new?" I thought for a moment and I realized that there really is a lot of new in our world. So I thought I would share.

In January we purchased a new love seat and chair for our living room. Call it a belated Christmas present for Kevin and Me. We were a little hesitant about the color at first, but we love it now that it is in the house and we can see how well it works with our decor! Best of all they are Madeline and Olive approved.


Jan. 20- The new furniture!

Jan. 20- Madeline inspecting the chair.

Jan. 20- She gives the chair a sit test and finally approves!
------

Valentines day has come and gone but I thought you might enjoy this photo. I made individual meat loaves, smashed potatoes and biscuits. (The salad just wouldn't go with our "heart" themed dinner so it didn't make it into the photo!!) Am I nuts or what!?!

Feb. 14- Yummo! I (heart) Hearts!

------

Finally, I have been dreaming about artwork for Madeline's room since before she was born. I just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I took the bull by the horns and made it myself!

Eric Carle is an amazing illustrator (and author) of children's books and I really wanted wall art from his book, The Very Hungry Catepillar. Of course I couldn't find it anywhere so I set to making it myself.

I decoupaged tissue paper to art canvases to create four works that are similar to scenes from his book. Over Madeline's crib we hung the sun and the moon. On the opposite wall over her changer/dresser we hung the catepillar and the beautiful butterfly. They turned out wonderfully! They are not identical to the originals, I couldn't have even begun to duplicate them to his skill level, but they are reminiscent of Carle's work. Each one took about two hours (with the butterfly taking almost 3 1/2 and the sun taking only an hour) but I love them! And now when Madeline asks where they came from I can say I made them with love! (Not, I got them on the internet...)

Feb. 17- "in the light of moon a small egg lay on a leaf."

Feb. 17- "the warm sun came out and -pop- out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar"

Feb. 17- The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Feb. 17- "and he was a beautiful butterfly!"

Feb. 17- The Caterpillar and butterfly on the wall over her changing table/dresser.


Of course I can't leave you without more photos of our darling daughter!

Feb. 17- Madeline approves of her new art work!

Feb. 17- Madeline likes to play with her feet after a change. If only we were all that flexible! What is cuter than that baby huh?

mg

7 comments:

Molly said...

NOTHING! is cuter than that baby! :) Although the wall art is pretty cute. And the valentine dinner was awfully cute, in a cutesy, gag-me-with-a-spoon sort of way. The furniture is stylish, not cute, but the baby inspector? Now that's cute!

Thanks for all the pictues. My Monday is far less dreary!

bridget said...

good job on the artwork...love the furniture...hate the meatloaf (never have liked it much)...and yes, cute kid ! b.

RPS said...

Very creative on the artwork! Its a wonderful book...love the new furniture and maddy is all about being cute!

j&j said...

Very cute! You're so crafty :)

weieroriginal said...

You did a fantastic job of the Very Hungry Catepillar artwork! It is nearly as fantastic as the little girl you made (ewwwww):) The furniture looks really good too.

McGrath said...

Love the furniture! I have to agree with Kathy on the meatloaf :)

THE MURDER HOUR said...

I think Molly said it ALL!